Content Site FAQs

This is the FAQ section specifically about content sites, for our Website Investor Full Service option.

What Is A Content Site?

There are different types of sites you can operate for a profit online:

  • Content sites
  • Dropshipping sites
  • eCommerce sites
  • Infoproduct sites
  • Services

A content site, as the name suggests, focuses on using articles, blog posts, guides, infographics, or any other type of “content” in order to attract visitors, and monetize the blog.

People are not visiting the homepage to request a consultation about their health, and they’re not visiting the store in order to buy some gifts.

With a content site, people are reading the articles, often by finding them in Google or on social media.

They’re monetized via Display Ads or via Affiliate links.

This means…no need to worry about customer service, inventory, or other pain points that ecommerce and dropshipping sites have.

Can content sites make a lot of money?

Absolutely. We’ve seen Content Sites in our pipeline that make over $100,000 profit every single month.

Examples of successful content sites:

  • Thewirecutter.com
  • Pinchofyum.com
  • Vueville.com
  • Petcarrierverdict.com

Content sites can be in broad niches or in narrow niches, and can have a few dozen pages, or hundreds. We own and control sites with anywhere from 30 to 1,000 articles on them.

How Risky Are Content Sites?

The majority of risk comes from poor site selection. We pass on more deals than we accept, purely for this reason.

While we always try to grow a site we buy, we never let ourselves get excited by a site’s growth potential, unless it passes our “Will this site still be online in 3 years?” test.

This test involves:

  • Full analysis of the traffic and its legitimacy
  • Full vetting of the seller and live calls with the seller and their broker
  • Full analysis of the site’s backlink profile and other SEO concerns
  • Full analysis of the site’s history
  • Many other smaller questions we look at.

If you can make sure that the site you’re buying is as future-proof as they come, then you negate 60% of the risk. The other 40% is broken down into the following:

  • Your potential inability to run the site successfully (30%)
  • The risk of Google algorithm changes affecting the site’s traffic (10%)

The first 90% is negated by working with us, which just leaves the last 10%, and as you can see in this blogpost, we’re pretty good at dealing with that risk too: https://onfolio.com/case-study-turning-around-2-declining-sites-with-onpage-fixes/

So while there is no way to say with 100% certainty that investing in a website is risk-free, we have done our absolute best to mitigate it as much as possible.

How Do You Grow A Website?

A lot of people focus on growing content sites wrong. They look for underperforming sites and hope to turn them around. Or they take sites with funnels, and expect to improve them.

When you do this, you’re often disappointed. If you buy an underperforming site, you’re left holding a lemon.

We approach things differently.

  • We start off with a solid foundation, and add to it
  • We add more content
  • We improve existing monetization
  • We cross-promote from other websites in our portfolio
  • We use white-hat SEO to further grow the site
  • We also benefit from being able to negotiate better rates, due to having a larger network of sites

In other words, we take what’s already working, do more of it, and improve it — rather than looking for something that isn’t working and trying to fix it.

In terms of costs to you, this is usually minimal. Most of what we do involves adding more content, and optimizing existing content.